Welcome to Soroptimist North Atlantic Region
Wow! Where has our summer gone? I hope that many of you have had the opportunity to get together with family and friends or have been able to travel somewhere that none of us have been able to go to in many months. Unfortunately, my summer has been spent at home due to the issues with this infection in my knee, but I am sincerely hoping to get beyond this soon and be back on the road again. I am scheduled to have surgery on my knee Friday, August 6th and I do hope that this will be the final one. Thank you to everyone who has reached out to me via cards, phone calls etc. Your caring thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated.
It’s now time to start preparing for our upcoming club year and there are a few reminders I want to call to mind:
- SIA dues were due by the end of July. For those clubs who haven’t paid their SIA dues you will now be assessed a $100.00 late fee.
- NAR dues are due by no later than August 31st – if paid after that date a late fee of 5% will be applicable
- LYD Award applications opened on-line beginning Aug. 1st so be sure to put out the feelers for applicants in your communities and remember we want to increase the number of awards each club gives so that we can get more SIA awards at the region level. Due to the number of awards given by clubs last year we have already been informed that our region awards from SIA will be the same this year as they were last year.
- Soroptimist Celebrating Success Award applications – we extended the deadline, but applications are due to our region chairs by no later than September 1st, so get those applications submitted now.
- Nominations are open for ALL positions on the NAR board (except that of Governor) – Candidate applications forms are available on the NAR website and are due to our region nominations chair, Peggy Gentile-VanMeter by no later than December 12th. Email applications to: [email protected]
- SIA has sent letters requesting nominations for the Fundraising Council so if you know anyone that you think would fit this position, be sure to get their name submitted.
As I reported in my August message, the NAR Board is in the process of preparing for in-person Fall District Meetings. With the spread of the COVID Delta Variant, we remain hopeful that these meetings will be able to take place. However, if anything changes, we will be sure to notify you immediately. As of now, Districts 1, 2, and 5 will be having their meeting at the Holiday Inn, Johnstown/Gloversville, NY on October 16th with a Friday night event on the 15th for anyone coming in and staying over. The meeting for Districts 3 & 4 is scheduled to be held at Susquehanna University, Selinsgrove, PA on November 13th with rooms available at the Holiday Inn Express, Selinsgrove, PA on the 12th for those coming in the night before. More information will be coming soon so PLEASE watch your club and president’s emails for further details. I cannot express enough how important it is for someone in the club to be monitoring the club email as well as making sure if you had any leadership changes for the coming year that we have all the current presidents and treasurer’s email addresses. If you have not already submitted these to your District Directors, please do so ASAP.
We are also in the process of planning for an in-person Spring Conference to be held at the Hilton Scranton and Conference Center, Scranton, PA on April 22nd to 24th, 2022. This will be a very central location for our new region, so we are hoping for a great attendance, and I hear from the conference committee that great things are being planned.
I do believe that is all for now. I wish you all a great time as we enjoy the remainder of our summer and I sincerely hope you are gearing up for a fabulous new Soroptimist year. Please take care and I hope that we can all connect soon.
Diane M. Savidge
NAR Governor 2020-2022
2021 Spring Conference Highlights
Let your friends know you are a proud member of NAR with a personal NAR frame.
1. Click the camera icon on YOUR profile picture
2. Click add a frame
3. Type in Soroptimist NAR (search frames)
4. Click save and your profile will have a new frame.
News from Soroptimist International of the Americas®
“Thank you to everyone who has registered so far for our virtual 100th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION on September 25 and 26! We are so excited that so many of you are joining us to celebrate our bright past and brilliant future“.
If you haven’t registered yet, there is still time to save $$$ on the registration fee. The early bird rate is $40! Register here ➡ http://bit.ly/100th-registration-social so you don’t miss out on the fun and history in the making. After all, our 100th anniversary only happens once! #Soroptimist100
While International Women’s Day is recognized around the world on March 8 “Every day is International Women’s Day when you’re a member of Soroptimist!” says President Penny. “And this year, we will continue to do what we do best—globally invest in and advocate for women and girls who need us most!”
PLEASE WATCH THE NAR FACEBOOK PAGE FOR DAILY POSTINGS ABOUT WOMEN DURING THE MONTH OF MARCH.
Our big dream is to help women and girls build a better life for themselves and their families and education is one of the best options we have to invest in their dreams for a brilliant future! Design by NAR co-administrator, Patti.
SIA Dream Big
As we celebrate our 100th anniversary we would love to hear from Soroptimists all around the world! We invite you to #DreamBig and share a selfie video with a personal message.